Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Championship - explanation (phase 1)


So why did it go that well?

I think there were two major factors.

MINDSET (mistend)
It changed completely from the last time I played in the Chamiponship in 2007. I'm not afraid of my opponents anymore. I know I can beat them because my word knowledge is better than theirs. I also improved my tactics. That is mainly due to playing a lot on the ISC with Wojtek. In my opinion he's the greatest Scrabble strategist amongst us. What changed in my behaviour is also the fact that I don't rush my games anymore. I always try to find the best solution and don't care much about the clock because I'm confident about my anagramming and counting skills.

LUCK (no anagrams)
You can't win a tournament without luck. In the first phase of the tournament luck was definitely on my side. I got 67 % of the blanks and 50% of the S'es.

It certainly helped me:

  • in bingoing 30 times (one phoney included).
  • in my overall record of 473 points per game
  • in my average spread of +111 points per game

No comments: