Monday, February 1, 2021

Cardbox struggles

I broke my Zyzzyva cardbox yesterday.
At some time it started presenting me with the same 12 words in the beginning.
Somehow those entries kept reappearing in the database even after I've deleted them - be it by utilising SQLite Studio or by using the Remove list from Cardbox option.

I definitely know what could have caused it. 
I've moved the Zyzzyva data directory from the local C:\Users\username\Zyzzyva folder to OneDrive. And then I tried accesssing it from Zyzzyva on another computer. Unfortunately this meant that the program wanted to rebuild the database each time it saw that the db has been used by the other program before. This is what probably corrupted the database.

What I've learnt is that you can keep your Zyzzyva files on OneDrive and 99% of the time Zyzzyva had no problem storing and retrieving the data from there in real time. The other 1% of the time it was repeating the same question twice in a row.

So, my 2600-words strong cardbox was broken and I decided to fill it in again.
I started with words of 7 letters, Type III with 1 anagram.
I quizzed 100 of them at a time (sorted by probability) and after that I added them to the cardbox system.
I added 500 of them today. It went fast because most of them have already been in the previous version of cardbox.














My goal is now to add at least 100 new words a day.
By one year from now I will have learnt 36500 words.
Let's see how it goes...

No comments: