Sunday, February 15, 2009

crazy about zyzzyva

I spent the whole last week playing with the zyzzyva database. I merged 2 database files into one (to be exact: I added the tables from CSW.db to Anagrams.db).
Now I can query the data from different tables using the JOIN statement. This gave me the possibility to see exactly what kind of words are in my cardboxes.
Using the programs called sqlite I generated and then imported into Excel different lists of 7/8-letter alphagrams from my cardboxes. I divided the lists by:
  • probabilty
  • point value
  • number of unique letters
  • number of vowels
  • number of anagrams
  • length
I also created a special Excel file which queries the zyzzyva database almost in real-time, so that I have up-to-date statistics on the number of words that are going to show up next in the cardbox quiz:


I also made a chart showing me the numbers of alphagrams in different cardboxes:


and finally the number of 7 vs 8 letter alphagrams:



I love it!

No comments: