Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Championship - day 1

It started pretty well and then even got better.

Game 1
against Mikolaj Szymanski. It started nicely with TORSION for 65 followed by a high scoring ROUX (42), JUPE (52) and WISP(51). After an exchange and a dump of one letter, I bingoed again with DEISEAL (73) and two moves later bingoed for the thord time by hooking to a G on the board making AnEARIN(G) for 77.
W: 525-307

Game 2
against Mariusz Skrobosz. Two bingoes for me: DESTINE(S) for 80 and REVENUe(D) for 86 assured a comfortable lead for me. Mariusz then answered back with a nice 9-letter (RE)cEPTION down from A1. FUZIL for 44 ensured my second win of the day.
W: 476-358

Game 3
against Rafal Dominiczak. A close game which looked gloomy for me suddenly brightened when Rafal set me up with a nice WAE in line 1. I hooked it with a T and played TRaiNED for 81. I couldn't believe Rafal's generosity. He couldn't either.
W: 428-344

Game 4
against Wojtek Usakiewicz. It started very well with Wojtek unsuccessfuly challenging DEAT(H)IER for 66. He bingoed back with INTONER but that was it. As he later told me he missed OBENTOS and SEITIES. I played a phony *COITERS and after 1 minute of hesitation Wojtek decided to let it stay on the board. I saw EROTICS and TERCIOS but went for the phoney to play it safer. A strong CLEW for 54 saw me finish this game in style.
W: 444-348

Game 5
against Michal Josko. I started with DRAISIN(e) hooking it awkwardly to the second E of FEE making it possible for Michal to play simple ZOO for whooping 59 points. Later on I also presented him with easy VEX for 43. Those are mistakes I simply cannot afford.
(L)AWINES for 74 on move 8 and ORGEAtS for another 74 saw me win this game comfortably by almost 200 points.
W: 492-308


Game 6
second time against Mariusz. After 7 minutes he came up with YARdAGE which I challenged and started with a score of -5. On move 6 I went into the lead with KINDEST for 84, some moves later I bingoed with gLORIAS for 66 and that was it.
W: 412-329


Game 7
second time against Mikolaj. An amazing game. A guy from a local Waraw newspaper had just came by and asked if he could make some photos for the article about the tournament. We told him to wait until there was something on the board and then it all started:
WOOINGS for 80, WAQFS for 40, MOSHERS for 80 and my score was 200 points after three moves. On move 4 I dumped four consonants around an O with PR(O)LL and on move 5 I got a nice NETHEAD for 77. Move 6 is my biggest pride so far: BIENNAL(E) for 64. I finished the game on 541 points - my highest score ever played live.
W: 541-319

I finish the day on a 7-0 record and a spread of +1005.
Average score per game: 474.
Average spread: +144.
Total number of bingos: 18 (2.6 per game)

Luck played a significant part in my winning all games.
I got 9/14 blanks and 18/28 S's.

This adds up to a total 64 % success percantage.

This means tomorrow everything can only go wrong, but I don't mind :)

No comments: