Friday, March 11, 2011

Mannheim - day 1














Wasserturm - Mannheim 11.03.11


What a day!
There is so much to report and so little time, so I'll stoop to my favorite thing - the stats.
I'm in 4th place with 5-1 and +340
I played 11 bingos:
AGENISE, EMOtION, GUSTIER, VENDoRS, DIEtINE, ONSTAGE, ENVIrON, KAI(S)ERIN, GAPIEsT, APIA(R)IsT and ENERGID.
Two remarks: 
1. I have played APIARIST in a recent game with Rafal on ISC (triple-triple for some 90 points) and back then I wasn't sure if the word even existed and now I've played it live at double-double (for 86).
2. There is a special prize for the best German word played in the tournament. My only 8-letter word today KAI(S)ERIN (66) is currently top of the list. I hope nobody comes with anything better, though I think DIRNDLS has good chance if it gets played too :)
And now to the highlight game of today - round 5 on table 5.
I played number 2 seed Terry Kirk of England (WESPA-ranked 1857).
All went well for me in this game.
I countered Terry's bingo (S)UNnIEST (83) with KAI(S)ERIN (66) using the second S of his word. Two moves later Terry tried to play a phoney *COENOBI which I challenged off and promptly replied with HUDNA (36+5) which Terry unsuccessfully challenged. Then some smart moves from me like STANGED (45) and a phoney (uniwllingly) *WITOL (39) and in the end Terry was forced to open the board - right when I had AEGIPT? on the rack and could play GAPIEsT.
It is by far my best game ever.
OK and one last thing I need to mention. During the first moves of my 1st tournament game (with Paul Dundas) I experienced the strangest racks of my life ever.
Rack 1: BEJKMWY: played JEW (26) leaving BKMY
Rack 2: BKMQRSY: played KY (33) leaving BMQRS
Rack 3: BMQRSSS: exchanged BMQR, leaving SSS
Rack 4: DGSSSST: played ST (16), leaving DGSSS
Rack 5: DDGRSSS: played DR(A)GS (18), leaving DGSS
Rack 6: DGINRSS: played DR(A)GS (22), leaving INS
Rack 7: AEEGINS: bingoed with AGENISE (71)
This just goes to show that no matter what letters you get, if you wisely balance the rack you'll always end up with a bingo... eventually :)
And you may even win the game, I know i did... ;)

Schedule for tomorrow:
10 games starting at 9:00.
Game 7: Ray Tate (current number 1 but ranked 7)
Game 8: Mihai Pantis (current number 5, ranked 5) - this will be my first game ever with a Romanian :)

PS.
My stats for day 1:
bingos: 11 (1.83 per game)
blanks: 8 (67%)
S's: 13 (54%)
Average for: 423.5
Average against: 367

Thanks for all your comments and for keeping your fingers crossed!



Game 1 Win against Paul Dundas (NL) 431-355

Game 2 Loss against James Wilkie (SCO) 361-485

Game 3 Win against Pramit Kamath (NL) 421-285















Game 4 Win against Cody McCormick (ENG) 458-303

 











Game 5 Win against Terry Kirk (ENG) 442-375












Game 6 Win against Nicky Vella Laurenti (MLT) 428-398















Good night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, you made it position 4!! well done ! continue going up :)