Thursday, October 13, 2011

WSC 2011 - day two

I started the second day of the WSC 2011 with an unexpected win against a highly ranked American named John O'Laughlin. Four S's and one blank did the trick - a close but precious win of 417-395.
Then I played Gareth Williams who surprized me by telling me that he has already visited the first historical Polish capital called Gniezno. With so many of the WSC players going to visit Cracow (Poland's second historical capital) it was surely something unique.
In the endgame Gareth set up a floater which I tried to block (to no avail). SAR(S)NETS did the damage.
This loss started an unlucky streak of 5 games lost in the row.
In the next game I lost to Naween Fernando when he played out with a bonus and won by 471-424.
Then I lost to a guy from Trinidad and Tobago (just like in 2009 when I lost to another guy from this country).
Next it was the only Ghanian in the field who beat me.
And then came Chris Cree from the USA, who had no mercy on me and presented me with my highest loss in the tournament so far of 309-533. Luckily this was the last loss in the series.
In game 14 I eked out a win against a Malaysian. I won by 20 points - in the end sacrificing a bonus just to make sure I'd win.
In game 15 I played Mihai Pantis from Romania. It was a very nice and close game. The endgame belonged to the opponent and I lost it by 32 points.
In the last game I met with my countryman (living in the USA since 1991) - Zbyszek. It was a strange game of three letter words mixed with vowel dumps. In the end Zbyszek played one bingo, but unfortunately got stuck with the Q which helped me win by 7 points. This game is sure to count as this years' WSC's lowest scoring win. I beat Zbyszek by 325-318 :)
So the plan of winning 3 games today was achieved.
I have the same plan for tomorrow and I'm hoping to finally get to play representatives from Poland's neighbouring countries - Germany, Czech Republic and Slovakia :)

What is also worth mentioning - today I got even less blanks than yesterday - only 33%. The level of S's stayed consistent at exactly 50%.

And just to hold a snapshot of today, here are the standings of Polish team members after day 2:

87 Zbigniew Wieckowski
6.0-10.0 -227
91 Rafal Dominiczak       
6.0-10.0 -500
95 Bartosz Pieta              
6.0-10.0 -657
97 Wojtek Usakiewicz     
6.0-10.0 -791

...which is exactly the reverse order of the standings of the Polish WSC qualification tournament :)
 
The STATS for WSC day 2:

Games won: 3
Games lost: 6
Spread: -440

Average for: 386.6
Average against: 435.4

Blanks: 6/18 = 33%
S's: 18/36 = 50%

Games won:
2 blanks: none
1 blank: 2/6 (33%)
0 blanks: 1/3 (33%)

Bingos for: 16 (1.78 per game)
Bingos against: 16 (1.78 per game)

7 letter bingos: 11 (69%)
8 letter bingos: 5 (31%)

Bingos with blanks: 3 (19%)
Bingos without blanks: 13 (81%)

Highest no of bingos in a game: 3
Lowest no of bingos in a game: 0

High game: 456
Low game: 309

Highest combined score: 895

No comments: