Tuesday, October 18, 2011

WSC - final day

And so came the final day of 2011 World Scrabble Championship.
And finally I was able to sleep for as long as I wanted. And I did - until 7:30 AM.
I left the Sluzewiec Hostel at 8:30AM, bought my return tickets at the train station and then hurried towards the Hilton for the grand finale. On my way there I met the 2005 champion Adam Logan who was also running a bit late. We managed to get to the hotel at 9:30AM sharp. In the playing room which was now turned into audience room there were about 30 players seated and ready to watch the final games on the big screen. I really liked the fact that unlike in Malaysia in 2009 this time the screen has been divided into 4 parts, with two of them showing the players' racks, one showing the board and one showing the players.

I took out my laptop to analyze the racks and the fun began.
Nigel Richards won the first game, Andrew Fisher won the second and going into the lunch break the score was tied at one game each. 
Then I had to leave for a Scrabble PR event called "Day with Scrabble" in the city centre. From 12PM till 1PM I entertained the spectators with anecdotes from my Scrabble life and commented on a Scrabble game played in English by 8 students of a well-known Polish language school Empik. It's been great fun to watch those guys play English words I knew the meanings of: QUIT, WIN, TOY, HERO or DIET. I also helped both teams to play out two bingos: REVERTS and OTARIES.
After the competition was over I was presented with a Prestige Edition of Polish Scrabble which features a revolving board with black racks, black bag and black tiles.
Then I was driven back to the Hilton to see the end of game 4 won by Andrew who tied the scores again - this time at two games each.
The final game was a bit of an anti-climax as half-way through the game it became obvious that Nigel would have done it again.
Nevertheless I was happy to see my predictions come true and it's really fabulous to see a 44-year-old guy achieve so much in this sport. I predict that in 2013 it is going to be much tougher for Nigel to win as it looks like he cannot go any further while the rest of the field still has some potential.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to see Nigel collect his cheque as I needed to hurry for the train back home.
I really enjoyed the last day of the Championship as well as the whole tournament. I really like the fact that the players have liked it too.
I'm greatful to the organisers as well as all the Polish helpers for making this event a success.
And big thanks to Mattel for organising the WSC in a prestigous hotel with delicious lunch and coffee. I really liked it!

No comments: